Welcome to my personal page, my name is Jamel Saadaoui. I am a teacher and researcher in social sciences, specialized in several topics related to international economics. On this page, I present my current and future research projects and I try to provide some information for the public and for my students. I sometimes write on Probability, Philosophy, Economics, and other topics with a macro perspective. My recent works explore the interactions between geopolitical tensions and the economy.
I am currently a Senior Lecturer with Habilitation in Economics at the University of Strasbourg, and I am affiliated to the BETA laboratory for my research activities. Furthermore, I teach Economics and Statistics at the Faculty of Economics and Management, FSEG, of the University of Strasbourg. Besides, I have been an elected member of the National Council of Universities since 2016. I co-organize the Cournot Seminar, the main seminar of the BETA-Strasbourg since 2020. Recently, I have been elected to the board of trustees of the University of Strasbourg. I defended my habilitation to supervise research on July 11, 2022. As of the next academic year, I have been promoted to Head of the Master 1 Macroeconomics and European Policy at University of Strasbourg. You can reach me at my professional address. You can find more information on my professional CV.
Applied Macroeconomics, Applied Econometrics, European Economics, International Economics.
Scientific social networks profiles
Scholar – ResearchGate – EconPapers – ORCID – SSRN – LinkedIn – GitHub.
My latest works and projects
- Statistiques. Principes et méthodes. Giuseppe Cicchitelli, Pierpaolo D’Urso, Marco Minozzo. Translation in French by Jamel Saadaoui, Julien Jacob, Jalal El Ouardighi, Katharina Priedl. Pearson, 2023. https://www.pearson.fr/book/?gcoi=27440100901150
Recent special issue
- Guest editor with Amélie Barbier-Gauchard and Samuel Ligonnière of a special issue of the peer-reviewed journal International Economics: The European Economy in the Time of COVID-19: Towards a New Dawn, https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/international-economics/special-issue/10TMZXX625C, February 2023.
Recent peer-reviewed publications
- Jamel Saadaoui, Chi Keung Marco Lau, Yifei Cai. Testing fiscal sustainability in OECD countries: new evidence from the past centuries, Applied Economics Letters, 2022. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13504851.2022.2142502.
- Yifei Cai, Valérie Mignon, Jamel Saadaoui. Not All Political Relation Shocks are Alike: Assessing the Impacts of US-China Tensions on the Oil Market. Energy Economics 114, 106199, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2022.106199.
- Yifei Cai, Jamel Saadaoui. Fourier DF Unit Root Test for R&D Intensity of G7 Countries. Applied Economics 54:42, pp. 4900-4914, 2022. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00036846.2022.2038776.
- Sy-Hoa Ho, Jamel Saadaoui. Bank credit and economic growth: a dynamic threshold panel model for ASEAN countries. International Economics, 170, pp. 115-128, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inteco.2022.03.001.
- Sy-Hoa Ho, Jamel Saadaoui. Symmetric and asymmetric effects of exchange rates on money demand: empirical evidence from Vietnam. Applied Economics 53:34, pp. 3948-3961, 2021. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00036846.2021.1888864.
Recent expertise report
- Jamel Saadaoui (décembre 2022, in French), Les accords de libre-échange : quels sont les enjeux pour l’UE ?, Recherche effectuée dans le Cadre d’une convention conclue entre l’Institut de Recherches Économiques et Sociales (IRES) et la CFE-CGC, https://ires.fr/publications/cfe-cgc/13433-2/
Recent working papers
- Valérie Mignon, Jamel Saadaoui, How Political Tensions and Geopolitical Risks Impact Oil Prices? (May 23, 2023). BETA Working Paper 2023-15: https://beta-economics.fr/working-papers/2023-15/
- Philipp Roderweis, Jamel Saadaoui, Francisco Serranito (15 May, 2023), Is Quantitative Easing Productive? The Role of Bank Lending in the Monetary Transmission Process. EconomiX Working Paper 2023-17, https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/drmwpaper/2023-17.htm.
- Rashad Ahmed, Joshua Aizenman, Jamel Saadaoui, Gazi Salah Uddin (February 13, 2023), On the Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Reserves During the 2021-22 U.S. Monetary Tightening Cycle. NBER Working Paper Series, 30935, https://www.nber.org/papers/w30935. Media coverage: The Economist. [UPDATED VERSION, April 2023] BETA Working paper 2023-13: https://beta-economics.fr/working-papers/2023-13/.
- Joshua Aizenman, Sy-Hoa Ho, Luu Duc Toan Huynh, Jamel Saadaoui, Gazi Salah Uddin (January 30, 2023), Real Exchange Rate and International Reserves in the Era of Financial Integration. NBER Working Paper Series, 30891, https://www.nber.org/papers/w30891.
- Valérie Mignon, Jamel Saadaoui, Asymmetries in the oil market: Accounting for the growing role of China through quantile regressions (December 11, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-36, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4312171. [UPDATED VERSION, February 2023] EconomiX Working paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/drmwpaper/2023-6.htm.
- Yifei Cai, Jamel Saadaoui, Yanrui Wu, The Political Relation and Trade – The Case of US, China and Australia (May 30, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-22, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4124255. Available as University of Western Australia / Economics Department Discussion Paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/uwawpaper/22-06.htm.
- Francesco De Palma, Samuel Ligonnière, Jamel Saadaoui, Yann Thommen, The role of wage bargaining institutions in the Phillips curve flattening (May 25, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-21, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4119670. Slides for the 10th UECE conference, July 2022: here. Slides for the Nuremberg Research Seminar in Economics, April 2023: here. Available as ISEG / REM – Research in Economics and Mathematics Working paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/iseremwps/wp02362022.htm.
- Yifei Cai, Valérie Mignon, Jamel Saadaoui. Not All Political Relation Shocks are Alike: Assessing the Impacts of US-China Tensions on the Oil Market. (May 20, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-20, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4116457. Available as CEPII Working paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/ciicepidt/2022-07.htm. Available as an EconomiX Working paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/drmwpaper/2022-19.htm.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Chi Keung Marco Lau, Yifei Cai. Assessing Debt Stationarity and Sustainability in the Longer Run with Fourier DF Unit Root Tests and Time-Varying Fiscal Reaction Functions (April 18, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-12, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4078207. Available as an International Network for Economic Research – INFER Working paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/infwpaper/2022.07.htm.
Selected blog posts
The codes for most of my blogs are available on my GitHub page:
- Jamel Saadaoui, The fragility of an incomplete monetary union with Mathematica, Wolfram Community, March 4, 2023, https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2844405
- Jamel Saadaoui, Visualizing CES production functions with Wolfram Alpha, EconMacro Blog, February 20, 2023, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/visualizing-ces-production-functions-with-wolfram-alpha/
- Eric Clower, Jamel Saadaoui, Addressing Conditional Heteroscedasticity in SVAR Models, APTECH Data Analytics Blog, September 14, 2022, https://www.aptech.com/blog/addressing-conditional-heteroscedasticity-in-svar-models/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Panel Data Econometrics: Common Factor Analysis for Empirical Researchers, EconMacro Blog, September 3, 2022, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/panel-data-econometrics-common-factor-analysis-for-empirical-researchers/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Merging datasets with different country codes with Stata, EconMacro Blog, July 30, 2022, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/merging-datasets-with-different-country-codes-with-stata/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Using DBnomics with Stata, EconMacro Blog, July 27, 2022, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/using-dbnomics-with-stata/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, L’inférence statistique : clairement expliquée, projet ANR DéPHy, April 1, 2022, https://celest.esr-grandest.fr/ori-oai-search/notice/view/uds-ori-511. EconMacro version: https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/linference-statistique-clairement-expliquee/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, A simple model of the determination of the GDP with Mathematica, Wolfram Community, December 19, 2021, https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2479315. EconMacro version: https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/a-simple-model-of-the-determination-of-the-gdp-with-mathematica/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Kurtosis Illustrated, EconMacro Blog, July 22, 2020, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/kurtosis-illustrated/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Unbiased estimator for population variance: clearly explained! EconMacro Blog, July 15, 2020, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/unbiased-estimator-for-population-variance-clearly-explained/.