Welcome to my personal page, my name is Jamel Saadaoui. I am a teacher and researcher in social sciences interested in various topics related to international economics. On this page, I present my current and future research projects and I try to provide some information for the public and for my students. I sometimes write on Probability, Philosophy, Economics, and other topics with a macro perspective. My recent works explore the interactions between geopolitical tensions and the economy.
I am currently a Senior Lecturer with Habilitation in Economics at the University of Strasbourg, and I am affiliated to the BETA laboratory for my research activities. Furthermore, I teach Economics and Statistics at the Faculty of Economics and Management, FSEG, of the University of Strasbourg. Besides, I have been an elected member of the National Council of Universities since 2016. I co-organize the Cournot Seminar, the main seminar of the BETA-Strasbourg since 2020. Recently, I have been elected to the board of trustees of the University of Strasbourg. I defended my habilitation to supervise research on July 11, 2022. As of the next academic year, I have been promoted to Head of the Master 1 Macroeconomics and European Policy at University of Strasbourg. You can reach me at my professional address. You can find more information on my professional CV.
Applied Macroeconomics, Applied Econometrics, European Economics, International Economics.
Scientific social networks profiles
My latest works and projects
- Guest editor with Amélie Barbier-Gauchard and Samuel Ligonnière of a special issue of the peer-reviewed journal International Economics. The submissions are now closed.
Recent peer-reviewed publications
- Jamel Saadaoui, Chi Keung Marco Lau, Yifei Cai. Testing fiscal sustainability in OECD countries: new evidence from the past centuries, Applied Economics Letters, 2022. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13504851.2022.2142502.
- Yifei Cai, Valérie Mignon, Jamel Saadaoui. Not All Political Relation Shocks are Alike: Assessing the Impacts of US-China Tensions on the Oil Market. Energy Economics 114, 106199, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2022.106199.
- Yifei Cai, Jamel Saadaoui. Fourier DF Unit Root Test for R&D Intensity of G7 Countries. Applied Economics 54:42, pp. 4900-4914, 2022. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00036846.2022.2038776.
- Sy-Hoa Ho, Jamel Saadaoui. Bank credit and economic growth: a dynamic threshold panel model for ASEAN countries. International Economics, 170, pp. 115-128, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inteco.2022.03.001.
- Sy-Hoa Ho, Jamel Saadaoui. Symmetric and asymmetric effects of exchange rates on money demand: empirical evidence from Vietnam. Applied Economics 53:34, pp. 3948-3961, 2021. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00036846.2021.1888864.
Recent working papers
- Valérie Mignon, Jamel Saadaoui, Asymmetries in the oil market: Accounting for the growing role of China through quantile regressions (December 11, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-36, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4312171.
- Yifei Cai, Jamel Saadaoui, Yanrui Wu, The Political Relation and Trade – The Case of US, China and Australia (May 30, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-22, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4124255. Available as University of Western Australia / Economics Department Discussion Paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/uwawpaper/22-06.htm.
- Francesco De Palma, Samuel Ligonnière, Jamel Saadaoui, Yann Thommen, The role of wage bargaining institutions in the Phillips curve flattening (May 25, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-21, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4119670. Slides for the 10th UECE conference, July 2022: here. Available as ISEG / REM – Research in Economics and Mathematics Working paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/iseremwps/wp02362022.htm.
- Yifei Cai, Valérie Mignon, Jamel Saadaoui. Not All Political Relation Shocks are Alike: Assessing the Impacts of US-China Tensions on the Oil Market. (May 20, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-20, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4116457. Available as CEPII Working paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/ciicepidt/2022-07.htm. Available as EconomiX Working paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/drmwpaper/2022-19.htm.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Chi Keung Marco Lau, Yifei Cai. Assessing Debt Stationarity and Sustainability in the Longer Run with Fourier DF Unit Root Tests and Time-Varying Fiscal Reaction Functions (April 18, 2022). BETA Working Paper 2022-12, https://ssrn.com/abstract=4078207. Available as International Network for Economic Research – INFER Working paper: https://econpapers.repec.org/paper/infwpaper/2022.07.htm.
Selected blog posts
The codes for most of my blogs are available on my GitHub page:
- Eric Clower, Jamel Saadaoui, Addressing Conditional Heteroscedasticity in SVAR Models, APTECH Data Analytics Blog, September 14, 2022, https://www.aptech.com/blog/addressing-conditional-heteroscedasticity-in-svar-models/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Panel Data Econometrics: Common Factor Analysis for Empirical Researchers, EconMacro, September 3, 2022, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/panel-data-econometrics-common-factor-analysis-for-empirical-researchers/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Merging datasets with different country codes with Stata, EconMacro, July 30, 2022, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/merging-datasets-with-different-country-codes-with-stata/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Using DBnomics with Stata, EconMacro, July 27, 2022, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/using-dbnomics-with-stata/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, L’inférence statistique : clairement expliquée, projet ANR DéPHy, April 1, 2022, https://celest.esr-grandest.fr/ori-oai-search/notice/view/uds-ori-511. EconMacro version: https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/linference-statistique-clairement-expliquee/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, A simple model of the determination of the GDP with Mathematica, Wolfram Community, December 19, 2021, https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2479315. EconMacro version: https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/a-simple-model-of-the-determination-of-the-gdp-with-mathematica/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Kurtosis Illustrated, EconMacro, July 22, 2020, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/kurtosis-illustrated/.
- Jamel Saadaoui, Unbiased estimator for population variance: clearly explained! EconMacro, July 15, 2020, https://www.jamelsaadaoui.com/unbiased-estimator-for-population-variance-clearly-explained/.